* all images property of Jeff Phegley (www.jeffphegley.com)

Sunday, July 20, 2008

New Drypoint



Mark
is a recently completed chine colle drypoint. This print is personally significant because it is the first print pulled on a Dick Blick press that I purchased last year. I have never printed on a portable press before. It was quite challenging getting the pressure where it needed to be and there were more than a few curse words spewed as I made several test prints. I was both relieved and surprised with the outcome, a nice dark impression that exceeded my expectations for a drypoint printed on a small press.

Drypoint prints provide a very immediate result because the image is scratched directly into a plate of copper creating a burr which holds the ink. The downside to a drypoint is that the burr is very delicate and can only yield a few good impressions.

This portrait is based on a good friend who came to my house one day bearing a striking resemblance to Van Gogh. His hair, which is red, was cut short and he was sporting a healthy beard. I was blown away at how much he looked like the master draftsman and felt that this similarity needed to be permanently documented.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic piece, Fro, and I am fortunate to possess such work from you. Keep up the exploration with Drypoint and any other random expression that suits your fancy.
-m

Jeff said...

Thanks for commenting M. Glad that you like it.

Fro